nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Deer

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Deer
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:01:20 -0400

Hi,

What is the legal definition of “running deer”?  I would guess that it is indicative to hunters using dogs to run deer to exhaustion as part of the hunting process, not a dog chasing a deer away from crops.

My inlaws would say that a terrified animal’s meat will taste off, so dogs used in hunting makes no sense.  Evidently the adrenaline sets off hormone changes that affect tenderness and taste.  Since they have slaughtered and I have not, I will yield to their experience.  Possibly this is why hunters prefer to take an animal down instantly (in addition to it being more humane)?

Later,

Tom