nafex - [NAFEX] AACK! Persimmon borers(?!)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org, nutgrowers@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] AACK! Persimmon borers(?!)
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 09:40:20 -0500

After grafting a few persimmons in the nursery beds this morning, I took another turn around the orchard to survey the damage and recovery, such as it is, of the freeze-damaged pecans & persimmons.
Most appear to be re-leafing, though some of the young 3-5 yr old grafted American persimmons appear to have killed back all the way to the main trunk. At least a couple may be total kills, and closer inspection of those revealed the characteristic little pale, toothpick-sized frass tubes, sticking out from their trunks, that I presume are associated with borers of some sort.
Fortunately, I have 'back-ups' of these varieties, or gathered dormant scionwood back in Feb/March, so they're not totally lost to me, but it is distressing.

Does anyone have any info or recommendations on control/prevention strategies to diminish infestation on the remainder of my trees?

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY