nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honey Bees

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honey Bees
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:21:08 -0700 (PDT)

So far I've seen mostly honeybees, & a couple of one of the tiny native
pollinators.
Interesting, the honeybees were of the darker tint mentioned by another
lister.
Observations in 2 yards near small woodlots & ag fields; one place sandier
soil, one
place silty. Don't know if GM crops were planted last year.

Growth here is at the stage of the native pussy-willows almost shedding
pollen (but,
we had a couple overly warm days), and scilla flowers have just started
opening
(yes, I know they're not native, but great for phenology!), and the american
elms
opened their blossoms last night. Yesterday I noticed pear flower buds barely
plumped.

Tanis Cuff, south-central WI

--- TIM INMAN <> wrote:

> Our apricots are absolutely buzzing with bees. Lucky us!
>
> Tim Inman
> Randolph, IA

The fish are biting.