nafex - [NAFEX] Scions

  • From: "TIM INMAN" <TIM@HISTORICINTERIORS.COM>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scions
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:52:43 -0500

Hi Judson:

So far, I can say I think we're having luck.  I checked this morning, and it appears to me that we might be seeing a little bud swelling.  We are definitely NOT seeing anything that looks like it is shrinking or dieing, yet.

I have the Interstate Golden Giant Apricot on 3 different rootstocks, with a total of about 9 different whip and tongue grafts.  I'm playing the 'Kodak' game, here - hoping that maybe something will develop and turn out OK for us somewhere!  The Alfreds are about the same.  The next few weeks will be critical.  I used the rubber electrical tape this time, and I think it is fabulous for grafting.

For what it's worth - the Paragon apple scion you sent me has already been nibbled on by Brother Rabbit.  The new grafts were placed under a wire cloche, too.  Snuck in around the corners.  Not fatal, but I forgot to give it a squirt of 'bitters' when I finished tying it off.  I'll get it shot tonight (the tree with bitters, for sure - and maybe Brer Rabbit too!)

My Dad's been working on the press screw all winter.  So far, it has not come unstuck.  We're resisting the urge to use heat.  Patience is a virtue we're a little short on sometimes. . . .  We'll keep you posted on progress.

Tim Inman
Randolph, IA

  • [NAFEX] Scions, TIM INMAN, 03/29/2007