nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Front Lawn fruit tree

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Front Lawn fruit tree
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:16:27 -0800 (PST)

All of them sound like choices to me. Pawpaws would have the best form if you after looks, Though Che is an attractive as a weeper, I dont think it makes a tree though. The biggest on I have seen was about 6 feet tall and 8-10 ft wide. Osage rootstock would be a must of a single tree. You could try grafting it yourself real high to get a more tree like shape. It would look kind of umbrella like. Sajos can get pretty tall. I pick some from my friend Lester Davis each year, and we use a latter to pick some.  I think the  advantage to Sajos are the are small and some you may not need to support limbs like you do with other larger fruited varieties (if you dont thin). In your area, you may get some nice yellow leaves from all these trees when the fruits are just ripening, so that would add some visual interest in the yard.

Bassem Samaan <bassem@gardener.com> wrote:
I had a magnolia planted in my front yard, that I cut down 3 years ago. I wanted to replace it with edible landscaping. I'm confused between Che, Pawpaw, or Saijo persimmon. I already have pawpaws planted about 30' away from the spot. So if it was a pawpaw it already has the pollinator. I'm not sure if Che will be a specimen tree, I love Saijo fruit as well.
What would you do if you were me?

Bass Zone6
Bethlehem, pa

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**