nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum - Sweet Cherry Graft Compatibility

  • From: natelson@stehlinclinic.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum - Sweet Cherry Graft Compatibility
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 06:42:47 -0600 (CST)

Sweet cherries are not compatible with either P. Angustafolia, the
chickasaw wild plum or a useful non-stoloniferous hybrid of P.
Angustafolia x P. Jaquemonti that the late Herb Durant made. P.
Jaquemonti is a low-chill ornamental bush cherry that fruits in Houston.
I do not know if other hybrids with plums work.

> Has anyone tried grafting a sweet cherry on a wild plum rootstock, there
> seems to be inconsistencies in the literature? I know there are numerous
> wild plums but any information would be appreciated. This question comes
> because a California Nursery is using a wild plum as an interstem on
> Citation rootstocks to graft Sweet Cherries resulting in a semi-dwarf
> cherry adapted to warm climates and slightly higher pH
> soils.
>
> Regards,
> Richard Ashton
> Oak Creek
> Orchard
> www.oakcreekorchard.com
> bwoodtx@verizon.net
>
> Reproduction of list messages or
> archives is not allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists
> or reproduction on web sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so
> don't claim you have permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO
> POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are
> discarded.
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the
> bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email
> options):
>
> File
> attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF
> FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text
> ONLY in emails!
>
> NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

  • Re: [NAFEX] Wild Plum - Sweet Cherry Graft Compatibility, natelson, 03/01/2007