nafex - [NAFEX] Peach Branch Ulcers?

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peach Branch Ulcers?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:21:55 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Two years ago I noticed that the top surface of the top branch in a yellow freestone peach split lengthwise for about 15 inches (40 cm) for no apparent reason.  But it started to heal, and performs OK today, except for the exposure of a 1 inch wide strip of uncovered wood that I only see when on the top step of an 8 ft ladder.  I don't know exactly when the split occurred, sometime in Spring.

Last year two more top branches on that tree split the same way, have partially healed, and the tree seems OK otherwise.

Anyone familiar with such a problem?  Something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim Nottke, NC Zone 7