nafex - [NAFEX] Ethylene and fruit storage

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ethylene and fruit storage
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:01:13 -0600

Hi all,

I find that my best keeping apples start to soften excessively by March.
(They aren't very good for eating now.) Although I try to open the
refrigerators that they're stored in daily, or more often, to prevent
ethylene build-up this doesn't seem sufficient. Any ideas on removal of
ethylene from the fridge? I was thinking maybe a couple pounds of activated
carbon/charcoal baked every few weeks to drive off collected gas. Worth a
try or no? Is there anything that works?

Steve Herje Lone Rock, WI