nafex - [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:00:11 -0500

I am currently growing Basjoo banana in zone 6 for the past 4 years. Every spring I look forward to see this banana tree popping out of the ground. It grows a clump of around 10 pups with the largest pup growing up to 10'-12' at the end of summer. I never got it to bloom and set fruit. A local nursery grows them in a large container, and keep them in the greenhouse in winter, allowed them to fruit in a 2 growing seasons.

In the fall the tree dies to the ground when the freeze arrives. Normally I will cut out the dead sump and cover it with mulch. This year I left it unprotected to test the hardiness.

Here's a photo of it: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b172/Bassgarden/greenhouse-banana.jpg

Bassem S.

Zone 6, Pa

--

  • [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals, Bassem Samaan, 02/28/2007