nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goji berries & wolf berries

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goji berries & wolf berries
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:21:27 -0800 (PST)

There are dozens of species within Lycium and it's not
clear exactly how many are in China and neighboring
countries. It's not clear that scientists have
recognized all existing species. What is clear is that
there are major variations in fruit flavor within
Chinese Lycium and major variations in plant
characteristics. Whether these differences are due to
speciation or to hybridization is unclear.

If you've eaten a true wolfberry and a true goji it is
no longer simply an academic issue. The best gojis are
very sweet and flavorful. Wolfberries are mildly sweet
at best, sometimes with a somewhat unpleasant
aftertaste. If you've grown the plants, there are also
distinct differences between the plants (as one
example-gojis have willowy leaves and wolfberries have
rounded leaves). The differences are significant
enough that I suspect they are different species.
Unfortunately commercial sellers are going to call
their fruit whatever they believe will obtain the best
price. Right now that seems to be "goji". I have
tasted some really good gojis and some really bland
goji berries. But I have never tasted a wolfberry that
was very good. I suspect the bad gojis may be
wolfberries.

The only real rule I bring out of my experiences is
that some gojis are good and some gojis are not so
good but all wolfberries are forgettable. So if you're
going to plant something from an unknown source, don't
plant a wolfberry.