nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Protect potted apples trees from freezing?

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Protect potted apples trees from freezing?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 06:08:04 -0500

I overwinter many of my potted trees in the Garage. Sometimes the garage is overstocked, so I will dig a hole against the wall, which is protected from wind, and place pots there. Then you'll need to cover them with mulch. The biggest disadvantage of leaving potted trees outside in winter is the animals. Squerrels, rabbits and other animals chow on the branches and the trunk of these little trees that may kill them. I lost few Bonsai trees, and grafted fruit trees that way. So if you have a room in the garage or a shed, try them first.

Bassem samaan
zone 6, Bethlehem, Pa