nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Protect potted apples trees from freezing?

  • From: "" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Protect potted apples trees from freezing?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:47:25 -0600

An alternative to a protected building is to dig the pots into the ground.

Digging them in and mulching over would be my preference, as well, but I
usually don't get around to it, and end up overwintering all manner of potted
plants, from oak & pecan seedlings to roses and rooted azalea cuttings by
massing them together in an open spot in the blueberry patch, surrounding
them with bags of leaves hauled home from town and piling leaves - or
preferrably pine needles, if I happen onto a few bags of them - over the top.
Even summer-rooted azalea cuttings usually come through my z6 winters
unscathed in the pile.
I suppose if you just had a few, you might get them through by just piling
mulch up around the pots.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY