nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:27:13 -0500

On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:49 AM, Don Yellman wrote:

What is the objective of all this boiling of fruit and sugar on the stove? Are you trying to make jam without the use of added pectin? And what types of fruit are you using for jam making, i.e. grapes, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries?

I cook red currants on the stove, after crushing them a bit so there's some liquid at the bottom of the pan. Then I strain the juice and add sugar and cook it down to make a very nice jelly. No added pectin. No added water. No need to remove the stems or seeds before cooking, either.

Of course, currants are very tart, and the added sugar is welcome for reasons of taste as well as texture.

Ginda