nafex - [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice

  • From: "Mark and Piper" <piper33@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] jam making - steam extracted juice
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:08:32 -0800

I was looking through a catalog today and saw a steam extractor for fruit
processing. I make jam currently by boining fruit and sugar on the stove.
What I have been making seems to lose alot of fruit essence due to steam
boiling off. I was wondering if a steam extractor for fruit juice would
retain much of the flavor I now boil away in my kitchen. I would be
interested in hearing from someone that has experience making jam with steam
extracted juice and with the traditional boil method on the stovetop.
-Mark Lee, Seattle