nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Not for the faint of heart

  • From: "Doc Lisenby" <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Not for the faint of heart
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:45:04 -0500

Tanis mentioning about us washing our hands reminded me that as a one-time health inspector, I collected under-finger-nail scrapings as an experiment conducted on individuals who prepared fast foods and who ostensibly observed the required hand washing/toilet use requirements. The scrapings were cultured, my report was forwarded along with a recommendation to require fingernails be trimmed to less than a certain length. To sum up the findings, I reached the conclusion that cursorily washing hands is so ineffective as sanitary prophylaxis that unless the nails are trimmed, scrubbed and washed with un-contaminated soap, it is an exercise in futility. Any hand washing is better among food handlers than not washing them but a more satisfactory choice would be that they be required to wear clean gloves of an impermeable material. I'd suggest if you are going to wash your hands as a ritual, that you also keep your fingernails trimmed to less than about 1/16th of an inch and use a surgeon's brush at each washing. A periodic dip of the nails in a mild bleach solution should enhance the cleansing regimen efficacy.
Doc Lisenby