nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chestnuts

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chestnuts
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:23:54 -0700

Just a quick answer - chestnuts, unlike other nuts, contain almost no fat.
Also, their dry weight is 50% sugars. Think of them as a sweet vegetable,
like sweet potatoes. They don't get crisp and nutty - more soft and sweet.
Sometimes when people don't like the roasted ones, it's just that they're
expecting something else.
They're good sautéed and added to veg dishes and stuffing. They're used in
some pastries, both as a puree and, dried and ground, as a pastry flour. If
you're watching fat intake, or just like exploring/trying different foods,
you can puree and sweeten cooked chestnuts and use that in place of peanut
butter (not in cookies - no oil means they won't cook right).
Regardless of origin, chestnuts are high in carbohydrates with a small
amount of protein and trace amounts of fat. They're fairly rich in
potassium and manganese. European chestnuts have more potassium and less
manganese than Chinese chestnuts. American grown will usually be Chinese
chestnuts, because there are so few American chestnuts trees that survived
the blight. There are continuous efforts to reestablish the native
chestnuts. I don't really notice flavor or quality differences; the Italian
chestnuts have a fine reputation, but the American ones can be had fresh.

~ Stephen