nafex - [NAFEX] Raccoon problem - the tasty solution with a bonus squirrel recipe...

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Raccoon problem - the tasty solution with a bonus squirrel recipe...
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:05:21 -0700

It was queried:

How does one handle a raccon problem?

My reply:

I posted this before(Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:01:24 -0500), but:

Cranberry Raccoon:

2 1/2 to 3 lbs of Raccoon pieces (remove the fat and glands)
1 cup of finely chopped cranberries
1 cup apple cider
1/4 cup honey
pinch of grated orange peel
a tad of salt
1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg

put the coon in a crock pot for 7-8;
then add other ingredients and cook for an additional 4-5 hours...enjoy...
it really is very satisfying and tasty...

The fluffy bunny

P.S. coon pelts are running around 25-30 dollars last I checked...I think
some of you are over looking a source of additional income...

And now for an update, a bonus recipe...

Glazed squirrel:

Take about ¾ cup of apple juice and reduce it to ½ cup apple juice, add a
tablespoon of honey and simmer in a little grated orange peel in a sauce pan.
.

Next caramelize a large onion. Remove the onion from the pan. Add a smidge
of oil to the pan and scrape off the “leavings” using the oil as a solvent.
Now heat the pan add a little more oil throw a pinch of salt, a pinch of
nutmeg, and a little ground clove…throw in ½ the onion, now add some squirrel
and pan fry over high heat for 5-7 minutes, reduce the heat, add ½ cup dried
cranberries….cook about 3 minutes and then add the apple juice mixture to
coat the squirrel 3-4 minutes…now turn the stove off and let the squirrel
rest a bit, say about 45 minutes or so. Remove the squirrel from the pan,
sprinkle the rest of the caramelized onion on top and bake the coated
squirrel for about 20-35 minutes at 350 in a preheated oven.

This is good with a cornbread stuffing or a rice mixture.

the fluffy bunny

P.S. you can flavor squirrels by giving them a diet of sweet acorns, almonds,
and Winesap apples…delicious…it is a southern thing - I forog twhat Nafexer
turned me on this fact, but it was a delicious lesson

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====