nafex - Re: [NAFEX] manure,heavy soil

  • From: DocKW@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] manure,heavy soil
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 14:48:24 EDT

We have  a mostly heavy rocky gravel...which is possibly worse than clay,,,,it won't support much more than crab grass and it wears out the tiller FAST.
=Have found that free local wood chips can be layered on the soil and just left to rot over this mess and once the worms are in it they change both the top layer and the under soil.   Keep the layers coming on top and you'll control weeds and eventually have something to grow things in.
I've used gypsum to help the soil texture as well....I'd give that  a try too.
If your soil particles are tiny as they clay indicates why not get some cheap sand and mix into the garden area along with all the organic stuff you can lay your hands on.  If you have enough room to leave an acre or so fallow while doing this I think you'd find it gets better pretty fast.

Best luck..
Karl Olson
SW Connecticut where the tree rats  and birds have eaten all my peaches and apples including the hard unripe ones.....
so much for home grown
Keep those bird feeders going folks....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!