nafex - [NAFEX] grafting skill for pawpaw vs. two trees in a hole

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting skill for pawpaw vs. two trees in a hole
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 00:11:15 -0400

Bass,
Am writing from the NAFEX meeting in Lexington.
Another NAFEXer here confirmed today that pawpaw is about the easiest thing we graft.  It's a great wood to try on, to learn on.  Very supple wood is forgiving, and therefore pretty easy to get a good cambium match.

If concerned about two trees being a crowd, I'd suggest this is a good time to convert that concern in to the millenia-old skill of grafting.

Lee Reich notes that his hort professor taught that "any fool can graft", so that encouraged me to plunge in, give it a try, and be willing to learn from my failures.

Richard Moyer