nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Margerine & lard & Beurre Gifard

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Margerine & lard & Beurre Gifard
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 05:44:13 -0500

Ditto on the margarine.  My general principle when reading labels is to go for the product with the fewest ingredients.  Not counting added vitamins of course.

My only uses for lard are pie crusts and tamales. (Armadillo and possum fats were ones used in traditional, pre-Columbian tamales, by the way.)  I seem to recall that lard has less saturated fat than butter. I place bacon fat in a separate, luscious culinary category.  I've not found an oil pie crust recipe that I like.   I've also read that duck and goose fat have healthful properties unlike most animal fats, although I don't have access to them and I don't know if they'd serve in a crust recipe anyway.

Fruit is the primary source of fat in my diet: olive oil.  If I can make a product plug, Goya makes a nice, well rounded oil for the price.  I am not a fan of the grassy Northern Italian oils, so if your taste tend towards that you might not want to try the Goya.

Steve H. Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3, historically....