nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cape Gooseberry Jam

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cape Gooseberry Jam
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:19:40 -0700

Thanks!

I haven't tried ground cherry. I have recipes saying the two are
interchangeable, but I would expect quite a bit of difference since they're
different species.

When I grew cape gooseberry, I had a very hard time getting myself to
appreciate that it should be used as a fruit. My background is
Irish/Italian/Mexican, and that last part is very, very familiar with
tomatillos. I see golden berry, I think tomatillo. And, like tomatillos,
they can be used to make salsa; though sweet/hot, not green tomatoey/hot.
So I used them in salsas and vegetable salads. This was good, but I
certainly wasn't exploring their usual uses.

This thread has made me want to give them another chance.

Stephen