nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fellenberg vs. Early Italian

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fellenberg vs. Early Italian
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:38:46 -0500

I think the European plums might be another one of those zone 5 things that
do well in my zone 4a continental climate where we don't get prolonged
winter warm spells and they don't de-harden. I've only been able to give
them -29F but zone 5 rated Castleton and Long John planted in 2001 have
never died back and have thinned crops this year. Hildreth is stone cold
hardy here and Mt. Royal, Green Gage, and Stanley are commonly planted as
borderline hardy. Others may ok and just not tested. I have several others
for testing that have done well so far and more coming in the nursery.
First case of black knot showed up on Seneca this year - time to get after
those chokecherries again.

Dave
Central MN

used to change other email options):