nafex - [NAFEX] Thinning Apples

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thinning Apples
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:29:08 -0500

Ginda, You asked: "But I had a lot of trouble thinning. It was hard prying
those little
apples off the tree, and I think I killed one of the "keepers" in the
attempt. I just plucked them. What should I do, use heavy-duty
scissors, or pruning clippers?"

What I found that works really good for thinning apples are the clippers
that are used for harvesting grapes. It is a pruning shear that is shaped
like a needle-nosed pliers. They are priced under $10 (2005 catalog) and
are listed under 'Harvest' in the Orchard Valley Supply catalog.
www.orchardvalleysupply.com (888)755-0098. Before I found these clippers,
I used to thin by pulling/yanking frequently destroying fruiting spurs. No
longer.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm

  • [NAFEX] Thinning Apples, Jim Fruth, 06/02/2006