nafex - [NAFEX] Black Gold, White Gold sweet cherries - how are your's doing?

  • From: "Rodney" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Gold, White Gold sweet cherries - how are your's doing?
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:44:18 -0600

3 years ago I planted one each of Black Gold, White Gold, and Glacier sweet cherries. Glacier died before May 1 of the following spring. Most of White Gold died by the same time and did not survive the following winter. Black Gold survived but did not like being painted with a 50-50 mixture of white interior latex paint/water. Wherever the paint was put on the bark looks rotted, however it did survive and looks like it will be blooming in the next few weeks if the weather is warm. I must admit that I put Black Gold in a quality hole while the other two were put into a more quickly dug, unplanned spot - a big mistake. Montmorency, Surefire and Bali are yet to bloom, but Danube has about a dozen flowers open. State Fair and Harlson apples will probably bloom next week as they are showing color. The rootstock of the White Gold - Gisela 5 - looks like it will be blooming so I may keep it if the birds like it.

If you have experience with any of the zone 4 sweet cherries please report how things are going for you and your trees.

Rodney