nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apples with sorbitol

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apples with sorbitol
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:21:31 -0800

I just posted it for the interest of the members. Take it as you will.
-Lon Rombough
On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:29 PM, rob hamilton wrote:

Are apples that rich in calories? I mean whats the point?

rob

"Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com> wrote:
Translated by Mark Hutcko, CheckBiotech

US researchers have developed a transgenic apple tree which bears
fruits sweetened with sorbitol.

US researchers have developed a technique which reduces the calories
in an apple by about one half. With the help of genetic engineering,
they changed the metabolism of apple trees, so they would store
sorbitol instead of fructose in the fruit.

http://www.checkbiotech.org/root/index.cfm?
fuseaction=search&search=checkbiotech&doc_id=12287&start=1&fullsearch=1

Submitted by Robert.Derham@unibas.ch
Editor, Checkbiotech