nafex - Re: [NAFEX] squirrels & cats & rabbits [& deer? Oh, my!]

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels & cats & rabbits [& deer? Oh, my!]
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:07:42 -0400

Stefan Brandle wrote:

> I liked Hélène's story about the dog-attacking cat. We have a couple
> good hunting cats, but maybe we are not thinking big enough. Maybe we
> could teach our cats to attack any deer that come on to the property. :-)
>
> -- sb
> Zone 5b where the weather is wonderful, some fruit trees are getting
> tricked into flowering early, and the cats are bringing down plant-eating
> rabbits as big as the cats. Go cats!

> used to change other email options):

> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
> Message archives are here:
>
> NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

Title: Grapes available spring 2005

Grapes available spring 2005

Charles Paradise

65 Adin Drive

Concord MA 01742-3505            [978] 369-3266

machelp@attglobal.net

Swensen Red

4 vines propagated.  4 available for sale or trade.

Winter hardy; from Minnesota.  American   Seeded variety.  Pink-Red  Use: Table,Juice.  The only grape variety I have grown so far that thrives on very sandy soil.  A proven producer in Massachusetts.

Dobson

4 vines propagated.  3 available for sale or trade.

Uncommon variety.  American   Seeded variety.  Red  Use: Table,Juice  Early  Unusual flavor.

Baco Noir

5 vines propagated.  3 available for sale or trade.

Well known wine variety.    French Hybrid   Seeded variety    Blue    Uses: Wine, Juice, Leaves    Early. (Pronounced "bak-ko noo-w-arh"). Has synonym name Baco No.1. A sometimes overly vigorous French-American hybrid grape released in 1902 suited to heavy soils and used to make a high acid, deeply pigmented red wine regarded by some as a good, if rustic, substitute for Cabernet Sauvignon, particularly if given a suitable finish (eg. oak).  Capable of aging, and sometimes requiring it, its origins trace to the Folle Blanche and a native American V. Riperia strain of grape. Reported as winter-hardy to about -20 deg. F (-27 C). Buds early with consequent danger of frost damage. Ripens in late September with susceptibility to bunch rot problems and is attractive to birds. Extensively grown in the cool northern regions of N. America.

Edelweiss

3 vines propagated.  2 available for sale or trade.

Wisconsin bred variety.  American.  Seeds.  Green – White Table, Juice   Early.   Wide adaptability. Hardy to -30F  An extremely fragrant delicious green grape.

Elmer Swensen 5-14 [E.S. 5-14]

5 vines propagated.  4 available for sale or trade.

Wisconsin bred variety.  American.  Seeds.  Green – White Table, Juice   Early.   Wide adaptability. Hardy to -30F

King of the North

2 vines propagated.  0 available for sale or trade.

Newer variety.  American  Seeded variety.  Blue   Uses: Table, Juice  Early  New!  Hardy to more than -40F   It is a heavy producer and yields a concord-type red wine.  Has been grown successfully in zone 3a. Apparently an accidental wild/domestic hybrid from southern Wisconsin with great hardiness, vigor and production capacity. Ripens quite late with high acid but when finished somewhat sweet produces a rich, fruity, aromatic Concord-style red wine which has met consumer acceptance in many areas. Needs a large trellis to be grown successfully.

Minnesota #78

4 vines propagated.  3 available for sale or trade.

Uncommon variety.  American.  Seeded variety. MN 78: Cultivar developed by Elmer Swenson for harsh cold resistance. Is one of the parents of Swenson Red and La Crosse. ‘Minnesota 78’ is a sweet, bluish-purple grape that’s excellent for juice and fresh eating, and also makes a good red wine. It bears clusters of medium-size berries that ripen in late September to mid-October.

Vanessa

3 vines propagated.  2 available for sale or trade.

New variety.  Mostly American.  Seedless.  Moderately cold hardy, to -20 deg. F (-29 C), early ripening hybrid cultivar released by Vineland, Ontario, Canada, Research Station that generally buds in late May. Is the result from crossing Seneca x NY 45910, the latter cultivar descended from the Bath and Interlaken varieties. Fruity, sweet-tasting berries resistant to cracking in wet conditions. Very disease resistant, ripening about 4-5 weeks before Concord. Very vigorous when first planted but growth slows down eventually with suitable pruning.

Valiant

1 vines available for sale or trade.   Claimed as extreme cold-hardy to -70 deg. F (ca -52 C.) red wine grape cultivar developed from Fredonia x Wild Montana (V.riparia) cross at South Dakota State University. Requiring a dry climate it is very susceptible to the mildew diseases. Unusual extreme cold tolerant cultivar in that it is capable of low acids (<1%) and high sugars (up to 20%). Daylight sensitive, it commonly goes dormant around September 1st. Currently grown in Minnesota, S. Dakota and in some other US and Canadian midwest regions including Manitoba, Canada where it reportedly needed no winter protection. Mostly used in blends, but can make agreeable jelly and is recommended by some as a (small berry) tablegrape. Listed as ripening about three weeks before “Concord” grape.  This grape is recommended for Midwest-Mid-North conditions, not New England.

A few words about grapes in general:

The biggest problem people used to have with grapes was that they bought a variety that wasn’t suitable for their area! Grapes need well-drained soil and as much sun and heat as possible; they also need an arbour, trellis, or tall bush/small tree on which to grow vines.   Plant 2.5 to three yards apart directly below the supporting wires, in a southern exposure that doesn’t receive too much wind. A soil pH of 6.5 to 7 is best; you may need to add lime to our acidic soil. The vines need watering the first year if it’s a dry season, but after that they can tolerate very dry conditions. Grapes grown in average soil don’t need a tremendous amount of fertilizer—he adds a couple of handfuls of composted manure or fish emulsion to each vine in fall.

      Grapevines produce fruit on the previous year’s growth, which makes pruning simple. Each year—preferably in November, when the wood bleeds less—prune branches that have borne fruit.

All the grapes propagated here are a far cry from the old-fashioned late-ripening disease-prone grapes usually grown in the past.  These grapes are specially selected for New England growing conditions [with the exception of Valiant best in prairie conditions] .  Each grape comes with a machine-embossed permanent metal tag identifying variety name.

Prices for all grapes are $5 each cash or equivalent swap value.   Delivery, planting extra.

Title: Grapes available spring 2005

Grapes available spring 2005

Charles Paradise

65 Adin Drive

Concord MA 01742-3505            [978] 369-3266

machelp@attglobal.net

Swensen Red

4 vines propagated.  4 available for sale or trade.

Winter hardy; from Minnesota.  American   Seeded variety.  Pink-Red  Use: Table,Juice.  The only grape variety I have grown so far that thrives on very sandy soil.  A proven producer in Massachusetts.

Dobson

4 vines propagated.  2 available for sale or trade.

Uncommon variety.  American   Seeded variety.  Red  Use: Table,Juice  Early  Unusual flavor.

Baco Noir

5 vines propagated.  2 available for sale or trade.

[...]

3 vines propagated.  1 available for sale or trade.

[...]

Prices for all grapes are $7 each cash or equivalent swap value.   Delivery, planting extra.  Grapes will be dug Saturday, April 16 and can be picked up then or can be mailed Monday, April 18.  The Swensen Red are in containers and can be picked up at anytime during the spring.