nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Info on Partridgeberry

  • From: dag.klaveness@bio.uio.no
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Info on Partridgeberry
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:54:30 +0100 (CET)

Partridgeberry, Mitchella repens (in the Bedstraw family, Rubiaceae) is
common in the area covered by the field guide: Peterson & McKenny (1968),
A field guide to wildflowers of Northeastern and North-central North
America.

>From Grieve, M. 1931, repr. 1976. A modern herbal, on p. 766 we read:
Mitchella repens (Linn.) Squaw vine. Synonyms: Partridgeberry.
Checkerberry. Winter clover. Deerberry. One-berry
Part used: Herb
Habitat: United States.
swampy places; in flower in June and July. The leaves resemble those of
clover and remain green throughout the winter. The fruit or berry also
remains bright scarlet, is edible, and nearly tasteless, dry, and full of
stony seeds. The use of the drug is pecurliarly American.
(Then follows a description of the use of the herb: Constituents, Medical
Action and uses, and dosages).

Cheers from
D.K., Norway