nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hardy fig varieties

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: <bassem@gardener.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hardy fig varieties
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:50:18 -0600

I got my 'Petite Negri' plant from Mike what's-his-name at Edible
Landscaping. He originated the plant, and the characteristics of mine match
his original description and catalogue picture and also match the info on
Ray Givan's fig checklist. Edible Landscaping no longer lists Petite Negri,
but does list 'Negronne' (syn. 'Violette de Bordeaux') I e-mailed Mike
sometime last year to see if he had decided that his 'Petite Negri' was
actually 'Negrone'. He did not respond, unfortunately.. Here's a link to
his site: http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/index.htm
Givan speculated at one point that 'Petite Negri was a sport of 'Alma' based
upon the foliage, but I'm not sure if he still holds to that (speculative)
opinion.

Other than my 'Petite Negri' which is by far my most prolific fig, I can
recommend 'Green Ischia' (syn. 'Verte', 'Green Ischau') as doing well in
pots for me. 'Chicago Hardy' grows well here potted, but the taste is quite
"thin" compared to the other two I mentioned. I left a potted 'Celeste' out
to die 7-8 years because it never ripened a fig--they always dropped off
when young. Another NAFEXer wrote that 'Celeste' was sensitive to dry soil
and the uniform moisture would solve the problem. Tough! My other figs
hold fruit even after the trees wilt quite drastically, something that's
almost unavoidable now and then for a potted plant. There appear to be a
number of figs sold under the 'Celeste' name, wheather they are mutations
from a single variety or of different origins, I can't say ('cuz I don't
know).

I do plan to get an 'English Brown Turkey' as my next fig. Buyer beware! I
understand that most plants sold under that name are actually 'Celeste'. I
expect that EL has the correct plant. As I recall, one way to distinguish
between the two is that EBT has a red "eye" quite early in the fruit
development, while 'Celeste' does not. Don't take that as gospel, though, I
don't have my source with me.

Hope this helps.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3