nafex - [NAFEX] Check your refrigerator temperature.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Check your refrigerator temperature.
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:44:18 EST

I have a refrigerator dedicated to seed & scion wood. The temp sets at about 32 degrees. Here is how to set one for that with max efficiency (I think).

Most all refrigerators have the thermostat in the refrigeration section and the cooling coils in the freezer section only.  Set the thermostat to the coldest setting and set the freezer section to the warmest setting. This opens the freezer compartment vents for the most transfer of cold air from the freezer to the ref. section. To hold cycling of the compressor to minimum I have several gallon milk jugs 7/8 filled with water. In the ref section once again are quart milk jugs 7/8 full in the door and a few more gallon jugs in the bottom of the ref. section. I just checked the thermometer in the top of the ref. section and it reads 32 degrees. As cold settles in the bottom, part of the time the bottom jugs have ice crystals in them and the milled sphagnum in which seeds are stored also may have ice crystals. Rarely ice in the top of the ref. section.

The vegetable drawers have been removed for a more open section.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Check your refrigerator temperature., Jwlehman, 01/23/2006