nafex - [NAFEX] Pawpaw tastes

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pawpaw tastes
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:14:57 -0500

Agreed that fresh pawpaws wear on you, but I can only eat so much of the other (tropical) annonas as well, being so rich.  I eat less pawpaws straight now that we have so many, but perhaps due moreso to becoming sated than bitterness.   My taste testers here (wife and daughters) confirm that some do have traces of bitterness, but some we grow have no detectable bitterness.  Back to the idea that not all named pawpaws taste the same.  The omega-3 and omega-3,6 fatty acids are high in many pawpaws, and these become rancid readily after picking, which strikes many as this is food unfit to eat.  The soft texture is the primary negative in randomized taste tests I've done.  So the fruit will probably have some high negatives for the average american palate going forward.  Neal Peterson has tried to minimize these negatives, but he's sold out for this spring though orders for 2007 are being taken.

We still eat all the pawpaws we grow, primarily fresh, fresh into no-cook puddings and icecream and frozen in muffins and breads during the winter.
We have a Donvier ice cream churn that requires no ice, so we make icecream every summer/early fall night, and that goes through lots of pawpaws.  My wife and a couple of kids eat 1-2 each of the best ones fresh per day, those with the least off-flavors.
Chris Chmiel with Integration Acres in Athens, Ohio buys pawpaw pulp, he's a reseller.
If nothing else, one can always create a lasting impression by making a pawpaw dessert and taking some into work.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East TN