nafex - Re: [NAFEX] GMO and Breeding/+1

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] GMO and Breeding/+1
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:10:30 +0000

I should have written "3 comments":

Re the patent law which allows Monsanto (example) to sue any farmer who wants to save seeds from crops onto which Monsanto's pollen has drifted-- in Canada one of the judges who settled one of these cases in favor of Monsanto said that under Canada law, any farmer who's crops were prey to Monsanto's stray pollen could also sue Monsanto. I don't recall exactly what they could sue Monsanto-- trespass, or other?-- but you get the idea.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "tanis cuff"

A couple comments:

Yes it may seem like the FDA/USDA is a "revolving door" or some other part
of the problem. They can only do so much, UNDER THE REGULATIONS THEY HAVE.
In order to regulate something, it has to exist first. Hence, regulation &
oversight of gmo could not happen BEFORE gmo existed. The key is to develop
a regulations method which can follow the new technologies like fish in a
school.

I have to agree w/ the person who said "think about what we're doing". If
you do even the "safe" plant breeding method of, say, selecting for tough
corn stalks to fend off european corn borers, it takes only a couple years
to thereby breed for ECBs w/ stronger mandibles.