nafex - Re: [NAFEX] jujubes

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] jujubes
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:13:15 -0700

My experience is that when left on the tree until the begin to brown they
are like an apple/date combination, a very pleasant fruit. Store-bought
ones have been flat tasting, less sugar and less acid, no richness - I would
guess due to storage. The fruit I have tasted fresh was from trees planted
primarily for landscape, probably Lang and Li. I understand there are some
much better tasting varieties available.

I've also had dried, which were pleasant. I suspect you get the best flavor
profile fresh, then as they age they lose flavor, but drying concentrates
what's left.

In spite of the price, I may buy a small handful from the Coop. They were
somewhat larger fruit than I've seen before, although still small, and
pear-shaped. I suspect them to be a better-flavored variety.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate