nafex - Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 05:37:31 -0500

Prairie Spy and N. Spy are unrelated. I used to know the parents but only
remember this much now. Where does the spy part of the name come from?
Somebody once told me it was a reference to the russeted area around the
stem. This is much in evidence on the Prairie Spies but I don't know if the
N. Spies have it, and it doesn't explain why that makes it a "spy".

Dave

used to change other email options):