nafex - Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:11:18 -0400

On Aug 31, 2005, at 6:59 PM, Stephen Sadler wrote:

. . .Macoun . . . I'm
surprised you find them in the markets there - I never seem them here.  You
have to go to the orchards - which are plentiful.

Where do you live?  I'm in eastern Mass., and in season, every farmstand and most of the more "upscale" supermarkets carry Macoun.  They grow well here, they are widely planted, and they often command a small premium over the price of "ordinary" apples.  They probably don't hold up in shipping well enough to be worth shipping them out of state.

Ginda