nafex - Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] firm cooking apples (was Bramley)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:20:09 -0500

Prairie Spy has similar culinary characteristics including holding good
cooked texture in a pie and is also a good keeper (through March in cellar
storage) and regular bearer here in Zone 4a, central MN. No particular
problems growing it except for a fireblight outbreak took one of two trees
soon after planting in the early 80's. Great appley flavor too has all
combined to make me a stand by your spy pie kind of guy, prairie style.

Dave

its fantastic because it keeps its shape. You might say the antithesis of
Northern Spy in pie-making would be apples that 'cook to applesauce' in a
pie. Northern Spy pie is so distinct that we used to call it "Spy Pie"
because it was immediately identifiable in a pie and was elevated above all
other common pies made in Massachusetts.

> That being said, I don't recommend planting Northern Spy because I can
never keep up with all the pruning, and it seems not as resistant to bugs
and fungus as some others. But its definitely worth buying for pies.
> Charlie Paradise
>
> Thomas Olenio wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Northern Spyis a great keeper and fantastic in pies.
> >
> > Large, green apples overlaid with red stripes.
> > The tart fruit is very popular for cooking and
> > number one for pies. Harvest in mid-October.
> >
> > Storage 4-5 months
> >
> > Later,
> > Tom

used to change other email options):