nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ideas

  • From: boyd manges <bmanges@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ideas
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:04:02 -0700 (PDT)

clove currants (like josta berries) are perfect for
the steam juicer--I mostly can the juice for "ribena",
but I have made excellent jam using the concentrate
and white sugan...there is a recipe with the juicer.
I pick out my bushes to include some unripe berries
for jam, but I like to wait as long as possible to
pick Crandell for juice as it concentrates the flavor.
Clove currants hold on the bush a lot longer than
other ribes and the birds don't seem too excited about them.