nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ideas

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ideas
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:46:19 -0500

It helps to include some green and reddish berries when making juice
from clove currants for jelly. They are higher in pectin. Juice made
from all ripe clove currant berries is sometimes difficult to make jell
(although added pectin will correct this problem). This is where they
differ somewhat from their red and black currant and gooseberry
relatives, which jell almost too readily and firmly. -- Sam Brungardt,
St. Paul, Minn.