nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Supporting persimmon, apple and pear grafts on weak understock?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Supporting persimmon, apple and pear grafts on weak understock?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:12:14 -0500

At 06:03 PM 7/24/2005, you wrote:
I have had good success bark grafting persimmons,but not ioo%.I had several
blow out till now I started supporting with posts and cutting the tips of
each branch..

I always intend to get out there and stake my grafts, but rarely get around to it. Occasionally lose a graft on a seedling rootstock that's out in the open to wind or bird perching, but those in the nursery beds are, I suppose, in close enough proximity to all their neighbors that I've not had a problem with them breaking out.
On the few that I have staked, I just stick a bamboo stake in next to the rootstock or tape it to the rootstock, then loosely tie or tape(with masking tape) the vigorously-growing graft to the bamboo.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY