nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Neem and Surround and RESEARCH

  • From: "Deirdre Birmingham" <deirdreb@mindspring.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Neem and Surround and RESEARCH
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:18:27 -0500

Speaking of research, and Stephen, you are probably already aware of this,
there is the Organic Farming Research Foundation found at www.ofrf.org.
They have a listing of the research projects they have supported. There
are well over 20 on tree fruits, with 16 on apples alone. I don't recall
if any of them looked at Neem. One has looked at Surround. But they do
also post the research results on their website and report them in their
newsletter, the OFRF Information Bulletin. Certified organic farmers
receive the Bulletin free of charge automatically. But they are available
to others as well upon request.

They are also building a database in collaboration with a few land-grant
universities called organicaginfo.org. One can do keyword searches. You
can find it on the OFRF homepage.

Growers can submit research grant requests to them. There are several now
on-going in tree fruits. One is Jim Koan's in MI looking at guinea fowl in
controlling the "dreaded plum curculio."

OFRF does not intend to be the end all in organic farming research but
while providing some small grant opportunities, they have been doing the
heavy lifting over the last 15 years to get the USDA to fund organic
farming research. It is now starting to happen. And the work continues to
expand on that front.

--Deirdre

Deirdre Birmingham
zone 4b
Mineral Point, WI

I've
> posted or not - I just like to see the research.
>
> As for rubber degrading when exposed to Neem oil - I don't think it's the
> Neem. I suspect there was some orange oil in the mix, and rubber doesn't
> care for orange oil. A sprayer might do okay with an insecticidal
> soap/orange oil blend, as the orange oil will want to stay with the soap
> rather than linger on the rubber parts, but still - clean afterward
whenever
> you spray with something containing any solvent, including orange. If you
> want to condition the rubber parts, use a Q-tip to apply some glycerine.
>
> Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
> USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
> Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

used to change other email options):