nafex - [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency.
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:25:04 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2005 8:21:23 AM US Eastern Standard Time, redherring@tnaccess.com writes:

The only tree I was absolutely sure was Montmorency was one a nursery property, I was really impressed by the larger fruit, but then the tree died.

In the thirty-four years I have lived here (IN, zone 5b) I've had several Montmorency sour cherry trees. They all lived not more than 10 years. Bore great fruit but fungus gets in the wood, declines and dies. Is this true for all the sour cherries? Is there another cultivar more resistant to fungal infections?  This one is in it's last year and will want another. Falling over but had a fine crop.

Jerry L, 5b

  • [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency., Jwlehman, 07/04/2005