nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apricots Pits

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apricots Pits
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:49:49 -0700

I've been growing Mormon Chinese seedlings from pits I got from Tim Udall in Arizona. They are indeed much later blooming than any other apricot I've tried and a couple of the seedlings have given me more apricots than I've had from any other 'cot I've tried in Oregon. On the down side, they do have enough variation that only four seedlings out of over 20 were really useful and some of those don't produce very heavily. Also, every fruit on every tree has had a rather large seed to flesh ratio - they have big pits. Still, they are decent and have good general disease resistance, but you need to grow enough to find a few that really do well for you.
-Lon Rombough