nafex - [NAFEX] Apricots Pits

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Cheryl Long <clong@motherearthnews.com>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apricots Pits
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:03:19 -0500

The editor-in-chief of Mother Earth News asked me if I knew anyone who had apricot pits of a variety suitable for her climate. She is in Zone 6, with the average last frost of April 21 and first frost of Oct. 11. Her season is about 175 days.

She wants to try growing a tree from pits, since I raved about my experiences with growing Montrose from pits generously given by Del Stubbs. The magazine has slated an article on growing apricot trees from pits for late 2006. I'm sure I'll be talking to some of you apricot enthusiasts early next year about your experiences.

Meanwhile, what varieties will grow for her and does anyone have or will have pits to give her? I'll gladly pay the postage.
Doreen Howard