nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Moldy seed germination

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Moldy seed germination
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:23:01 -0700

Many of those types of seeds need something to happen to the seedcoat before
they're able to germinate - the 'damage' to the seedcoat probably simply
allows water inside. It's common practice to sand some seedcoats, or even
cut a small slit in larger seeds, such as Wisteria. One needs to be very
careful not to damage the seed within the coat. In nature, microbes/fungi
do this work.

Apple seeds do have germination inhibitors - but they're to reduce
competition, not keep the seed itself from sprouting. Malus seeds are
deeply dormant, and require stratification for both germination and
embryonic development.

BTW, lazy gardener that I am, I sometimes have the best germination rates by
simply planting the seed/seeds in a suitable outdoor location and let the
local temperatures, pH, microbes, and other microecologic factors do their
thing. Some seeds take over a year, but they would have taken months in the
fridge/greenhouse/cold frame/seed tray or wherever, and I get much more
vigor with bed plantings.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate