nafex - Re: [NAFEX] strawberry problem

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, growyourown@earthlink.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] strawberry problem
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:29:13 -0400

On May 28, 2005, at 8:13 AM, growyourown@earthlink.net wrote:

This question has come to me second or third hand. Here are the details. These folks have a strawberry patch. Some of the berries look fine but smell very bad and taste terrible. Thats all I know. I have picked hundreds of quarts and dont really ever recall this particular problem.

No idea

By the way, it has been an incredible strawberry year here in SW ohio. For me anyway. Flavorful and sweet. Timely rains, cool weather and long harvest. Still picking the earliest varieties.

I have a new strawberry problem this year. My previously care-free alpine strawberries are covered with a new (to me, and to them) caterpillar, which is eating the leaves but leaving the stems and fruiting parts. The caterpillar is pretty well camouflaged, and I noticed it because the fruits were so much more visible than in the past. They are about 1/2 inch long with a green body covered with white fuzz that looks very similar to the fuzz on the stems of the strawberries. They mostly hang out on the underside of leaves. I spent a lot of time last night picking them off the plants and crushing them.

Without the leaves to hide in, I'm afraid the alpines will fall prey to the same critters that make it impossible for me to harvest ordinary strawberries. Sigh. (Lots of June-bearing plants, lots of flowers, lots of little green berries, many big white berries, maybe 3 red berries over the season. . . An increase over the zero red berries I had pre-cat.)

Ginda
zone 6, eastern Mass, where all of May has been April, and it hasn't warmed up yet.