nafex - [NAFEX] Spring pest questions

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Spring pest questions
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 10:22:38 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I know that Spring has arrived in North Carolina because the curculios have
come out in force in the orchard. It reminded me of several questions that I
have been meaning to ask of fellow NAFEXers.

1. Is Imidan still on the market? I can't seem to get it locally even
though it was available last year. Curculios are the number one stone fruit
pest here and I am constantly looking for the safest, effective control that
doesn't freak out the HOA. Surround is safe, but is considered "not
aesthetically pleasing" by the local politburo.
2. Is Bull's-Eye effective against curculios? It seems that the label
doesn't mention the pest, but I realize that sometimes pesticides are not
labelled for a certain pest even though they are effective against it.
3. Does anyone know of a more reasonably-priced source of peach tree borer
traps than Garden's Alive? I left a message with Great Lakes IPM, but no one
ever got back to me. I prefer to eschew the nasty chemicals that are often
used to fight PTB's, but can anyone recommend an effective control
alternative? I always catch quite a few in the traps, but can't afford to
saturate the area enough for control... plus the traps only catch the males-
not the egg-laying females that really do the direct damage.
4. Does Ashmead's Kernel have variegated leaves? I figured the answer is
"no" and I just got some virus-infected scionwood, but I wanted to check to
see if my roguing was justified.

Thanks in advance,

Anton
Zone 8