nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Precocity

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: <kbradley@edibleforestnursery.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Precocity
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:22:53 -0500

Kevin,
The two small apple trees ( Honey Crisp & Ashmead's Kernel) I got from you last spring are blooming, too! They are about 5 feet tall and didn't put on much growth last season. They spent the time, after being planted in late April, establishing roots. I purchased a Pixie Crunch from Henry Field's at Ed Fackler's recommendation, also. It was planted in the same bed in mid-May. It, too, is blooming.

I think your observations about last fall, plenty of moisture and a warm spring are correct. The mature crab apples down the hill from my mini-orchard are starting to bloom, almost a month earlier than last year. I'm in Zone 4b/5a, which is the same as yours, if I remember correctly.
Doreen Howard