nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bending branches

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bending branches
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:02:53 -0400

I remember having read the following explanation in a pruning book
explaining an interesting Swiss method of pruning which consists of moving
the production of fruits closer to the ground. It is used to rejuvenate old
trees.
It was explained that :
The sap moving upward from the roots stimulates the tree to develop leaf
buds, the sap moving downward from the leaves stimulates the tree to develop
flower buds. When the branches are bent, more sap from the top flows into
the limbs proportionnally to the quantity of sap moving up from the roots.
This is how the tree can be influenced to form flower buds.
>From memory, this method was called Oeschberg.

Hélène, zone 3-4, where rain and snow flakes alternate.