nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bending branches

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bending branches
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:08:07 EDT

I had heard of this technique before, and I decided to try it on one of my Montmorency cherries.  The branches did become more horizontal but the tree vigor declined compared to the same type tree, same rootstock, same purchase source at same time and planted 8 feet away.  They were identical when planted, height, branching, etc.  After the branch bending on that summer, the bent branch tree fell behind.  There is now a major difference in growth.  The bent branch tree is only 1 1/2 inch at the trunk, the untouched one is 2 1/2 at the trunk.  I concluded that bending branches on the cherry created tree stress.  Now I don't bend branches, I just prune.  I have not tried this on apple or pear, can't speak for those trees, and I did not try this on any other tree after this episode.