nafex - [NAFEX] Pesky Tree Rats

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pesky Tree Rats
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:38:53 -0600

Spring is here in the Upper Midwest and neighbors who I haven't seen since November are out in their bits of paradise spraying and pruning. Several have fruit and nut trees. One has two Heart Nut trees that finally began to bear last season. He didn't get a nut, because the squirrels ate them all in the green husk stage. What do you nut growers do to protect your crops from squirrels? It's never been an issue for me, but given my neighbor's experience, I may have problems this season as several fruit trees will bear for the first time since I planted them in 2003.
Doreen Howard