nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bending branches to induce early fruiting

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bending branches to induce early fruiting
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:27:30 -0600

My husband has been a target competition handgunner for years and reloads most of his ammo. He melts down lead into ingots, and I steal them to use a branch weights. They are about 4 ounces each, and I use several in a cloth or cheesecloth sling. I attach the sling to the branch with the cloth ends. The strips are about 2 inches wide and spread the weight so the bark isn't girdled. I bent the branches on a Montrose apricot seedling from Del Stubbs in its early years this way, and now I have a 5-foot tree with scaffold branches parallel to the ground. I'm doing the same with Asian pears and a Saturn peach.
Doreen Howard